Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Manifesto

In the average middle-class American life, consumption rules--and for a good reason. Whether we are completely solo or a parent in a bustling household, we are all stretched and pulled in so many different directions that any product that promises a quicker lunch, a more organized life, or simply a moment of sanity, well--we want that!

However, our planet is paying a dear price for our use of disposable and toxic products. Icecaps are melting, sea levels are rising, our planet is warming--much of this is directly a result of human pollution. People everywhere are experiencing a rise in chronic illnesses, such as asthma, largely due to toxins in our environment.

Just like everyone else, I want innovative products that make my life easier. Ingenuity is great--I, for one, have no intention of trading my washing machine for a washboard. However, I also want to breathe easily on our beautiful planet, and I want to leave the Earth a better place than I found it. In other words, I don't want my progeny--or yours--to pay the price of my own irresponsibility.

This blog is a place for me to share practical tips, products, and thoughts about living an environmentally responsibly life. I have no illusions that you (or me, for that matter) will sell the car and bike twenty miles one-way to work, or eat solely organic, local foods. Very few people are able to reasonably do those things. The well-intentioned often have other limitations, such as budget, distance, or family considerations. Instead I offer reasonable and attainable solutions for everyday life, for every person.

No comments: